Friday 21 January 2011

5 Great Novels That Should Become Movies

I'm mostly not a fan of seeing my favourite novels on the big screen, simply because I feel that, frankly, they're being abused and even ruined. Yet, there is still something special about those images in your head coming to life, even in a less perfect version. Some movies I wish I hadn't seen (*cough* Harry Potter *cough* Hitchhiker's Guide *cough*), but I remain hopeful that if the following novels were ever made into movies I would enjoy them almost as much as the originals. So if you happen to have a few million-billion American dollars (or however much it takes to make a movie nowadays) that you feel like turning into an awesome movie, here are some books you might want to invest in.


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


Yes, yes. I know I keep nagging you about this novel - but it is just too good not to! I cannot for the life of me understand why this novel hasn't been made into a movie already, with this book-into-movie-craze that's going on right now. It's listed as "in development" by IMDB, but I seem to remember it being so for about five years already. I have no great hope of seeing it on screen for a long time, though it would be absolutely amazing. What better time to make a movie like this than in our CGI days?! There would be absolutely no problems with any zero-gravity special effects, and I'm sure the scenes in the battle room would be amazing. For those of you who haven't read it, I wrote a review of Ender's Game recently.



Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga

This novel I actually read the first time as an assignment for my English class during my first year at university. I didn't think much of it at first, it not being the kind of literature I generally like, but it ended up affecting me greatly. The story told is that of a young African woman who excels in school - which she is just barely allowed to attend - and her struggle to survive in a world that has no appreciation for her or her feelings, other than that she should be a good child and do what she is told. I cannot stress enough how gripping this book is. I have very rarely been both so angry and so happy when reading a book. This is quite the opposite to the former novel on this list since it would require no fancy special effects, but it touches you on an emotional level. I would dearly love to see this as a film, and I think doing so would also improve my understanding for what she has to go through.


One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

I seem to have failed quite miserably with this, since there is in fact a movie planned to be released this year starring, amongst others, Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum. However, since it hasn't been released yet I guess I can still keep the book on my list. This is one of the funniest novels I've ever read. Yes, it's up there together with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though in an entirely different genre. There are innumerable sequels (at the time of writing I believe there are sixteen novels all in all) and I haven't read them all (just about ten or so), but I cannot get enough of Stephanie and her complicated life. Few people mess up as much as she does, and absolutely no one manages to get as many cars blown up as her. She also owns a hamster. I look forward to seeing her and her hamster in a movie very much indeed.


Songmaster by Orson Scott Card

I must be boring you to death with all these Scott Card novels, but here is yet another one I would love so much to see. However, I might be biting off more than I can chew here because I don't think there is any kind of way that the singing in this move can be made as superhuman as it's supposed to be. It's truly magical singing, and any attempt to translate it from the page to the screen would most likely fail miserably. However, if there had been a way to work around that problem, I would most definitely love seeing this as a movie. It would be magical.





The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Lastly, this is a novel I think would translate quite well into a movie. According to Wikipedia there is a film being planned, but I can find no date for it yet. This is another novel that I started reading as a school assignment and ended up changing my literary world. Written from the perspective of a young boy, Christopher, who has Asperger's, it goes without saying that it is a very special book. It is also entertaining and gripping, as well as interesting. It is a fine example of where the reader understands much more than the protagonist of what is going on. Since Christopher remembers everything he can narrate all the details but not interpret them. This is up to the reader. If this can be translated to the screen I don't know, but even if it doesn't I'm sure the movie will be great and I hope they make it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment